Medium Drawing, illustrator, Rhino, Sculpting, Lathe, Mill, MDF, Acrylic, Paint spraying, cellulose
The project was to design and make a prototype of a torch; I wanted to do a design that was very different than your average torch, as well as being pleasant to hold.
My inspiration came from looking at old American cars and modern motor bike lights, which led me to the design that you can see below. From my sketches, I then drawn the design up in illustrator and worked out the final size that I wanted it to be.
As I was only allowed to use low-cost materials to make the prototype I used MDF to make the body and to make the tubes for the lights. The body, as you can see, is very organic so for the majority of it I sculpted it by hand. I used the Milling machine to make the recess for the tubes to sit in. The tubes were made out of MDF on the lathe then car body filler was used to bring them together. I used acrylics to make the lenses which were also made on the lathe. To get the look of the black handle, switch and side parts I masked them off before spraying with cellulose paints.