MOTORBIKE MODEL

    Medium         Photoshop, illustrator, Rhino, Sculpting, soldering, Vac forming, Lathe work, Moulding,

                            Brass, Kemi wood, Styrene, Acrylic, Airbrushing, Cellulose paints.

 

This was my final project for my Degree in Model Making for Design and Media. Taking all the skills and knowledge I had learnt over the last 3 years, I decided to make a model of a classic Triumph motorcycle.

 

Since I was a child I have had a great passion in motorbikes from having models of them at home to riding motocross and now biking on the road today. I wanted to undertake this project as I knew it would use all the skills I had learnt and stretch me even further with new challenges along the way as I knew there were a lot of components to make.

 

I had decided to make a model of a Triumph Tiger, 1:7 scale, which at the time my finacee was restoring. The first challenge I came across was getting hold of technical drawings to work from.  I discovered that none existed! I was determined to make the model, so I took the real bike which was in bits at the time and measured all the components so I could draw up all the technical drawing in the program Rhino. This took me 80 hours altogether.

 

Only than could I start to think about how I was going to go about making the model. The first thing I started to make was the frame, which I made out of brass and silver soldered them together; this was something that I had never done before. I used brass as it had to be strong enough to take all the other components.

 

I made the front forks out of brass as well as the shock absorbers which have springs inside and they actually move as the real ones would do. I came across lots of challenges on the way, things like having to make a jig for the wheels so that the spokes were at the right angle.

 

The bottom part of the engine is sculpted out of Kemi wood as it is quite organic in its shape, along with the tank, seat and side panels too. I made other parts like the exhaust cans and front fork gaiters on the lathe and then took moulds so that I could reproduce them. The chain took 8 hours as it was all individual links that move, I made formers for the mudguards and vac formed them to give me the nice shape. The list goes on! I did a dry build before airbrushing all the components and the final build.

 

I am very proud that my model went on to win the London New Blades Show in 2005 which is judged by model makers in the industry.

 

Show More
Show More